- This summer Fordham IT will upgrade the look and feel of the University’s learning management system (LMS), migrating from Blackboard Learn Classic to Blackboard Ultra.
- Once completed, you will notice a more modern Blackboard with an improved look, navigation, and more mobile-friendly design.
- Courses themselves within Blackboard will NOT change automatically and will remain on “original course view” for the time being.
- The upcoming upgrade will occur on Friday evening, August 6, 2021, after the end of Summer Session 2. It will not require any downtime.
What is Blackboard Ultra?
- Blackboard Ultra is the latest iteration of the Blackboard’s learning management system (LMS). Ultra focuses on a modern, mobile-first design, designed to adapt to many devices, whether computer, tablet, or smartphone.
- What is Ultra? (Link to Blackboard site)
What Will Be Different?
Ultra Base Navigation
Blackboard has reconceptualized their approach to navigating through their system. Now, instead of the traditional Blackboard homepage that you have to cycle back to in order to get to a different part of Blackboard, going through tabs and modules, everything can simply be found on this new left hand navigation menu.
This approach should be familiar for anyone who’s used the Blackboard mobile app.
|New Navigation Menu||Menu Item Descriptions|
- Base Navigation (Link to Blackboard site)
The Activity Stream
When users first enter Blackboard they will find the Activity Stream. This will contain the latest activity in courses. For example, students will be able to see the latest announcements, deadlines, etc., while faculty will see the various submissions and missed deadlines, etc. Also, for convenience, the activity will directly link to the course items in questions. User will also be able to customize the notifications settings of this stream.
- Activity Stream (Link to Blackboard site)
Courses Displayed in a Timeline
Courses are now much easier to find. Under Courses, you can now immediately see your current courses, while having the ability to easily cycle through looking at your old courses as well as your upcoming courses.
- Exploring the Course Page (Link to Blackboard site)
Better Mobile Experience
Ultra has been improved to display optimally across a number of devices, resizing automatically.
- Ultra Profiles (Link to Blackboard site)
Looking Ahead: Your Individual Classes
Courses themselves within Blackboard will NOT change during this update and will remain on “original course view” for the time being.
Faculty do not have to make any changes at this time.
- Experience Blackboard Learn Ultra
- Introduction to Blackboard Learn with the Ultra Experience
- Edit Your Profile in Blackboard Ultra
- Activity Stream in Blackboard Ultra
Contact IT Customer Care at (718) 817-3999 or email@example.com.
Additionally, you can email Faculty Technology Services’ Blackboard team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last, if you have any questions, comments, or concerns on this process, please feel free to reach out to Alan Cafferkey, Director of Faculty Technology Services, at email@example.com.
Please note: as we get closer to rolling out the new Blackboard base navigation upgrade, Fordham IT will provide updated support resources, including training materials, guides, and best practice recommendations. Additionally, the teams providing support will have a full training on the system, so as to provide faculty the best service possible.