Has this ever happened to you?
You’ve scheduled a meeting, but some participants can’t make it to campus.
You’ve been invited to a meeting, but you can’t make it to campus.
What should you do?
We recommend WebEx, the online meeting and video conferencing software. It’s free to Fordham faculty, staff, and students. Our website has full details for how to download and use WebEx. Since its launch in March 2016, nearly 2500 people have logged over 1300 hours of meeting time.
Best Practices for Participating in an Online WebEx Meeting
Make the most of your next meeting with the following tips.
If you’re hosting or attending a session:
- Choose a quiet place and silence your devices.
- Test your audio/video connections. When you enter a Webex room, remember to enable audio by clicking “Connect to Audio” on the lower left. If you want your colleagues to see you, turn on video by clicking on the webcam icon next to your name in the participants list along the right.
- Mute your microphone when you’re not talking.
And especially if you’re hosting:
- Take time to prepare.
- When hosting presentations, consider having a co-host to manage the chat room.
- Arrive early. Make sure all your presentation materials are ready.
- Make a statement with a welcome message to let your attendees know they’re in the right place.
- Mute participants. When you schedule a meeting or at the beginning of the session, navigate to the top menu bar and select Participants > Mute on Entry. This will automatically mute participants when they join the WebEx session, and they can unmute themselves as needed.
For help getting started, visit Fordham’s WebEx web page, fordham.edu/webex.
Access your WebEx account today!
Click the login button on the upper right of the page and sign in with your AccessIT ID and password.